Project handover is a (yet another ;)) crucial part of the software development lifecycle. Over the last years, our teams have successfully onboarded into and handed over dozens of projects. Based on that experience, we created a Project Handover Checklist that we have been improving ever since.
Effective project handover may be your ticket to success. At iRonin.IT, we make every effort to ensure that our clients feel confident and comfortable as the new owners of the product, including all the tech aspects. Our checklist is one of the things we do to make the process as simple, fast, and smooth as possible. It contains all the elements and important information that clients should know when taking over a project from our team. We hope that this checklist will allow you to go through this process quickly and smoothly!
Project Handover Checklist
Our Project Handover Checklist is aimed at helping our clients with whom we were building a product together and who have created their own development teams that are supposed to take over the maintenance and further development of the app. In other words, for the clients who soon will become the full owners of the product and all aspects of its development. Nevertheless, the checklist will be useful for anyone changing their development team in general!
Let's go through the process of taking over the project step by step!
Step 1: Identify the parties involved in the project handover
1. Decide which team members will be involved in the project handover process
2. Make sure everyone has a clearly defined role in the handover process
3. Determine who will be involved in the project handover process from both the client's and the development team's side
Step 2: Set the project handover date
1. Determine a date by which the project handover should be completed
2. Communicate the project handover date to all parties
Step 3: Create a communication flow
1. Decide who should communicate which part of the project handover process to whom and when
2. If the project transfer requires meetings with different people interested in particular parts of the app/project, divide the project transfer into smaller stages
Step 4: Update the README file with important information, such as:
1. Project description
2. Project setup steps
3. Information on how to run the project locally
4. Information on how to connect to API, other apps, etc.
5. Information on how to deploy on staging/production
6. Information on architecture and design
7. Contact information for the distributor or author
8. Configuration instructions
9. Installation instructions
Step 5: Transfer ownership of accounts and login details
1. Share a complete list of third-party tools and services with the client (e.g. AWS/server hosting, Database, GooglePlay/AppStore, Mail Service Client, SSL Certificate File, etc.)
2. Share links and login credentials
Step 6: Transfer app admin and demo accounts
1. Provide the credentials for each environment
2. Provide the credentials for demo accounts
3. Prepare a manual with information on what the user can find in the application after logging in
4. Eliminate all sensitive personal data from the user accounts
Step 7: Provide documentation and feature requirements
1. Make sure the client has access to the documentation
Step 8: Send a handover email
1. Email the final announcement with all the important links and a brief description of how the information is organized
Looking for a new development partner?
Your current software development team doesn’t meet your expectations? Or maybe you’re happy with their work, but struggle to grow the team and keep up with the product development goals? Drop us a line, and let’s see whether we’ll be a good fit.
The transition from one development team to another doesn’t have to be painful!